Canberra Metro, Australia’s first PPP Green Loan and ESG in Infrastructure Finance
ESG considerations have rapidly become a key consideration in all aspects of projects, including how they are financed. In CY2020 ESG debt issuance exceeded USD700bln globally, more than doubling the 2019 result. The use of ESG financing methodologies represents an opportunity to draw attention to projects that contribute to overall sustainability, including but not limited to renewable energy and social infrastructure.
In December 2020, Canberra Metro refinanced debt associated with the Canberra Light Rail PPP, using a CBI certified green loan – the first Australian PPP to do so. On this webinar, a case study of this financing will be presented by the deal team, followed by a panel discussion on the benefits and practicalities of ESG financing in project finance.
- Kristy Datson, Head of Resources, Utilities, Infrastructure & Transport, MUFG (Moderator)
- Joshua Kan, Vice President, Advisory at MUFG (Keynote)
- David Asteraki, Executive Branch Manager, Infrastructure Finance & Reform Division, Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic – Development Directorate, ACT Government
- Nicholas Gandolfo, Director Sustainable Finance Solutions APAC, Sustainalytics
- Bill Haughey, Head of Investment and Asset Management – Australia & NZ, Aberdeen Standard Investments
- Erin Wakelin, Partner, Herbert Smith Freehills